leedunning3

Death by Books

Like you (I assume) I like books. I used to read fantasy exclusively, but these days I've branched out to pick up the occasional mystery, YA or steampunk novel. I also love to read about the art of writing and use that to improve my skills in my own work.

Worth the Wait

The Republic of Thieves - Scott Lynch

Like many folks, I have been waiting anxiously for this book to finally be released. It was worth the wait. I don't know what struggles Mr. Lynch went through to complete this novel, but he came through them with a fine story full of color and intriguing characters. Much of this was done through their time with a Shakespearean-like acting troupe, and added such a different (and yet perfect setting for the Gentleman Bastards) venue for the story, it really added to the overall atmosphere of the novel.

In the first book, one of my favorite aspects of the story was the telling of Locke and Jean's childhood. That was lacking in the second book, and while a good story, I found I didn't enjoy it quite as much. The Republic of Thieves brought back tales of the boy's youth, and with it other favorite characters lived again.

Another feature of the second book that I didn't much care for was the romance. I'm not big on romantic relationship stories, so when it was obvious that would be a big part of book three as well, I worried. While it still grated some for me, it was a much better fit for the story told this time around. I found Sabitha annoying as hell in many respects, but by the end of the story it is quite clear why Locke is so obsessed with her. She is a worthy adversary in the underhanded games of the Gentleman Bastards.

The ending was satisfying, with all of the main plot points neatly resolved. New and old evils are waiting in the wings, though, and I look forward to the fourth volume.