leedunning3

Death by Books

Like you (I assume) I like books. I used to read fantasy exclusively, but these days I've branched out to pick up the occasional mystery, YA or steampunk novel. I also love to read about the art of writing and use that to improve my skills in my own work.

The Mage's Tomb

The Mage's Tomb - J.T. Brister This is another book I picked up either for free or for .99. Let me start by saying I think Mr. Brister could develop into a decent writer. He isn't there yet, but he has interesting ideas, a sense of fun, and a fairly decent grasp of writing from a teenager's PoV.

For most of the book, about 85% of it, I felt he really just needed a good editor to go through, fix a few errors and guide him into adding some details here and there. The last 15% of the story was where things really got out of hand. Whole chunks of information seemed to be missing. For example, when our hero gets into a boat to cross a lake, the four evil ladies following, and two other boys get into the boat, and yet the last we the reader's had heard about them, they had been falling asleep in an area only passible by magi. Apparently, they were invisible, wearing magic masks, but this wasn't made clear, so I assumed the were visible and didn't understand how they got in the boat without the hero noticing them. There is also a huge info dump scene at the end when the evil ladies are trying to kill the hero. This information could have been imparted throughout the story, perhaps as part of the boy's lessons, or even in flashbacks or discussions by the witches.

There is supposed to be a sequel coming. I would suggest that Mr. Brister go back through and clean up the first book before putting the second one out. It has promise, but still needs some work.

My score is 2.5 (we need more stars to better fine tune our ratings). If it weren't for the serious flaws of the last part of the book, I would rate it higher - maybe even 3.5.