leedunning3

Death by Books

Like you (I assume) I like books. I used to read fantasy exclusively, but these days I've branched out to pick up the occasional mystery, YA or steampunk novel. I also love to read about the art of writing and use that to improve my skills in my own work.
Mortal Syntax: 101 Language Choices That Will Get You Clobbered by the Grammar Snobs--Even If You're Right - June Casagrande I liked this book quite a bit, but I would have enjoyed more grammar and fewer anecdotes. I suppose that would have made it more of a pamphlet than a book, but at times the humorous stories overpowered the subject that was the intended topic. It also reduces its value as a reference book since you have to dig through the humorous story to find the actual lesson. One nice feature, that perhaps helps, is that at the very top of the page she tells you right off the bat whether the usage discussed in that chapter is correct, wrong, or disputed. If that's enough for you then you're golden, but if you need to know the proper usage, or who falls on which side of the dispute, you'll have a bit more work ahead of you.

Is it silly to have a problem with the cover and pages? The ugly cover, and the cruddy paper quality don't take away from the content, but even so they bothered me. Penguin used some of the cheapest paper to make the cover and pages. I wouldn't have been surprised it the pages had turned yellow as the paper seemed just a tad better than newspaper. I won't deduct a star for it, since I got the book for what was written on the pages, but I would have preferred a book of the same quality as "It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences."