leedunning3

Death by Books

Like you (I assume) I like books. I used to read fantasy exclusively, but these days I've branched out to pick up the occasional mystery, YA or steampunk novel. I also love to read about the art of writing and use that to improve my skills in my own work.
Red Country - Joe Abercrombie I've loved every one of Joe Abercrombie's books. He always has a decently large cast of scoundrels, ordinary folks, and just plain dangerous individuals. Of course, there was a hefty dose of graphic violence. Lots of atmosphere, and enough hardship for a thousand people. There's humor though, and dark though it is, it's still funny and clever.

If I have any criticisms it would be that sometimes people seem to have catch phrases that appear a bit too often to be believed. Just how many times do you have to "hear", "You've got to be realistic."?

It was nice that a few old friends from previous works were present, and one of them may have even grown a bit as a person.

Overall, I think I liked "The Heroes" better, there was more intrigue, military conflict, and distinct groups throughout that story. "Red Country" is by no means a weak novel, I just think the previous works suited my tastes better.