leedunning3

Death by Books

Like you (I assume) I like books. I used to read fantasy exclusively, but these days I've branched out to pick up the occasional mystery, YA or steampunk novel. I also love to read about the art of writing and use that to improve my skills in my own work.
The Trouble with Demons - Lisa Shearin This is the third in the Raine Banares series, with at least one more out. I'll eventually read the fourth one, but will wait a year or so to do so. Let me attempt to explain why. I like the characters, though frankly, the secondary characters appeal to me much more than Raine does. Since the books are written in first person, Ms. Shearin has a burden to overcome right away. Tam, Mychael, and Phealan manage to project me over that hurdle quite easily, so that brings me to my primary reason for spacing out my time between volumes... the rhythm of the writing. Yeah, that sounds weird. I'll try to elaborate.

Every paragraph has pretty much the same tempo to it. Almost every line finishes as if it were part of a stand up routine. I keep hearing the Ba-dum-tssst of a rimshot. It becomes tiresome, and adds a repetitive feel to the entire story. Indeed, she does repeat snarky quips often enough they start to annoy.

That being said, the story itself is interesting, most of the characters are quite likable, and there is no end of "eye candy". She writes the best sex scenes that contain no actual sex. And I'll take her version of goblins any day over the short, green and stupid versions you see in most stories.

My rating is more a 3.5 than a 3.