leedunning3

Death by Books

Like you (I assume) I like books. I used to read fantasy exclusively, but these days I've branched out to pick up the occasional mystery, YA or steampunk novel. I also love to read about the art of writing and use that to improve my skills in my own work.
The Loon - Michaelbrent Collings I described this book as a train wreck to my friend. Despite the mess, you just can't look away. That's the only reason I can explain why I made it all the way to end of this book. It was a mash up of things - Arkham Asylum, Hannibal Lector, and The Thing, primarily. It was full of stereotypes, like any number of B movies. We had the token black guy named Hip Hop, the shrink with a terrible past (who needed a shrink as much as any of his patients), the beautiful battered woman running from her past.. you get the idea. All of these folks get trapped, isolated in a privately-owned prision/asyslum, out in the middle of Montana, in the dead of winter, during a record breaking snow storm. The power goes out, the monster and crazy guy escape, and folks start dying. Weak writing, no real suspense and a anticlimatic ending force me give this book a rating of two stars.